In a letter to the FDA commissioner, Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) put the agency on notice to not overregulate the vaping industry and to pull the August 8th Deeming Rules. “The U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) deeming regulations of e-cigarettes is a primary example of a rule that could eliminate an entire nascent industry. Accordingly, given the substantial likelihood that this burdensome rule will be undone, I urge the FDA to cease implementation of its deeming regulation to spare the growing e-cigarette industry unnecessary and avoidable compliance costs that it currently faces.”
After his recent reelection Sen. Johnson took a moment to thank the voting, vaping community in what was a very tight race. His position as Chairman of the Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs gives weight to his focused message. Vaping is saving lives, the testimonial truth of this fact is undeniable. Science shows why vaping must be encouraged while FDA Deeming Rules must be reversed. Just a few things the FDA knew but failed to accept prior to implementing their incompetent rules.
- Vaping is not as new as the FDA and opponents want consumers to believe, now 13 years in its modern existence with mountains of quality, peer reviewed studies and millions of testimonies pointing to the many benefits.
- Prior to government interference consumers desiring to quit smoking drove the industry toward improved quality, safety and effectiveness. Each year improvements and cost reductions occur due to consumers and businesses having a shared goal, getting away from cigarettes forever.
- Success in living smoke-free through vaping is impacting millions worldwide with no reverse gateway effects.
- Science has reached a decade long conclusion; vaping is less than 5% as harmful as smoking with no impact to those around vaping.
- Nicotine delivered safely through modern vaping devices is finding new uses in treatments of a variety of medical conditions.
- Small businesses have driven the industry in connection with wide ranging employment opportunities, community contribution and support, manufacturing and logistics investment, positive impact on the public health, and commitments to helping drive smoke-free living.
It is now time to follow Sen. Johnson’s lead and write our support of vaping down and deliver it to every member of the committee, representatives at the federal, state, and local levels, and all who care about tobacco harm reduction. It is a good day for truth to be shared. Repealing the FDA Deeming Rules is the proper immediate course of action. Make sense legislation with a separate category for vaping can be worked out.
Feel like exercising your 9th Amendment rights?
“The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.”
Take action along with Sen. Johnson, and do send him a thank you note as well.
Get started by finding your representatives at the USA.gov how to contact page. Share your efforts, truth will win with your help.